The aim of the Community Events Fund is to support exciting events that celebrate our culturally rich and diverse district. We’re looking for people that have great ideas for events that will attract people to Masterton, appeal to lots of people and help us make a name for ourselves as an event destination. It might be a totally new idea or maybe you’re already running an event that you want to take to the next level with more funding for promotion or event management.
Applications for the Events Fund are open year-round, but we encourage you to apply as soon as possible if you have a great idea, especially if you run a large annual event.
Masterton is a great place that deserves great events – so let’s get together and do cool creative stuff for our town.
We will consider applications that:
- Support events to be high quality.
- Support events to grow and appeal to a wider audience.
- Promote Masterton as an event visitor destination.
- Create a positive image of Masterton to residents and visitors.
If you have received a grant from the 2020 Events Fund, please complete and return the Accountability Form (DOC, 217KB) here by 30 April 2021.
A Flight of Imagination
Kokomai is a creative festival that happens every two years. It brings a world-class programme, with international, national and local performers to the Wairarapa for a fortnight of music, dance, comedy, film and visual arts. They are previous recipients of the Community Events Fund which has helped to make the festival bigger and better with each iteration. The festival is world-class, attracting visitors from outside the region and giving our community access to more creative opportunities. This is one of the larger events that receives this funding, there are lots of other much smaller scale events that also qualify for funding.
Can You Apply?
To apply for the Community Events Fund, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Both organisations and individuals are eligible to apply to the Community Events Fund.
- Applications by individuals must be co-signed by another person, whom will retain equal responsibility for ensuring that the event is carried out and funds are spent appropriately.
- Any applicants under the age of 18 must have an adult signatory (support person) on their application; on which the responsibility for the event shall fall.
The event types that will be considered are:
- Major events with economic benefit;
- Local and targeted events with community benefit; and
- Emerging events.
You will need to state which category your event falls under in your application form.
Other Funding Options
ARTS: Arts groups should apply to the Masterton District Creative Communities Scheme or the Masterton Arts Fund as a first option (unless the purpose is ineligible for funding from those schemes e.g. uniforms, musical instruments, facility development, administration).
EVENTS: Event organisers can apply to the Community Events Fund, where Council allocates sums specifically to support events held in the Masterton district which bring increased economic activity, cultural diversity and community wellbeing.
EDUCATION: Educational institutions or groups should apply to Lands Trust Masterton, (06) 370 0155
SPORTS: Sports-related groups should apply to Sport Wellington Wairarapa