The aim of the Community Events Fund is to support exciting events that celebrate our culturally rich and diverse district. We’re looking for people that have great ideas for events that will attract people to Masterton, appeal to lots of people, and help us make a name for ourselves as an event destination. It might be a totally new idea or maybe you’re already running an event that you want to take to the next level with more funding for promotion or event management.
Some of the organisations that have received grants in the past are:
- All Kiwi Sports Club for the International Cycle Classic
- Castlepoint Fishing Club for their annual fishing competition
- Douglas Villa Association Football Club for their annual junior soccer tournament
Masterton is a great place that deserves great events – so let’s get together and do cool creative stuff for our town.
The Community Events Fund for the funding year 1 July 2021 – 30 June 2022 is now closed.
If you received a grant from the 2021 Community Events Fund, please complete and return the Accountability Form (DOC, 123KB) here before applying to next year’s fund.
Kapa Haka Celebrated in Masterton
The Wairarapa Kapa Haka Festival is an annual event that provides an opportunity for all schools to take the stage and feel proud of who they are and where they are from. It provides schools with a purpose to teaching kapa haka to students and brings the community together. Post COVID-19 a virtual Kapa Haka festival was held with nineteen schools in the district taking part. There were 23 performances involving 1,400 students, with 700 of these from our Masterton district. Council provided funding for the videoing costs of this event.
Can You Apply?
We will consider applications from organisations, clubs, and individuals that:
- Support events to be high quality.
- Support events to grow and appeal to a wider audience.
- Promote Masterton as an event visitor destination.
- Create a positive image of Masterton to residents and visitors
- Have completed the accountability form for any previous funding.
The event types that will be considered are:
- Major events with economic benefit;
- Local and targeted events with community benefit; and
- Emerging events.
You will need to state which category your event falls under in your application form.
To apply to the Community Events Fund, organisations and individuals will need to meet the following criteria:
- Applications by individuals must be co-signed by another person, who will retain equal responsibility for ensuring that the event is carried out and funds are spent appropriately.
- Any applicants under the age of 18 must have an adult signatory (support person) on their application; on which the responsibility for the event shall fall.
Other Funding Options
ARTS: Arts groups should apply to the Masterton District Creative Communities Scheme or the Masterton Arts Fund as a first option (unless the purpose is ineligible for funding from those schemes e.g. uniforms, musical instruments, and facility development).
EVENTS: Event organisers can apply to the Community Events Fund, where Council allocates sums specifically to support events held in the Masterton district which bring increased economic activity, cultural diversity and community wellbeing.
EDUCATION: Educational institutions or groups should apply to Lands Trust Masterton, (06) 370 0155
SPORTS: Sports-related groups should apply to Nuku Ora