Masterton District Council has 74 flats and houses available for the elderly.
The four locations are:
- Bodmin Flats, 182-184 Chapel Street
- Truro Flats, 190 Chapel Street
- Panama Village, Ngaumutawa Road
- Laurent Place
For a hard copy of the application form please contact:
P: 370 6300
or call into the Council offices at 161 Queen Street.
To be eligible for senior housing, prospective tenants must meet the following criteria:
- New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
- Aged 60 or above.
- Receiving a permanent benefit.
- Assets not exceeding $25,000 if single and $35,000 if a couple. Assets exclude furniture and personal effects. Assets include cash in the bank, investments, shares, trusts, and interests in property.
- Not have owned a house in the past five years.
If accessible units are available, people with disabilities aged 55 or over (and receiving an invalid’s or other benefit from the Ministry of Social Development), who are compatible with village living and who meet the other criteria above will be considered on a case by case basis.
Receiving and Considering Applications
All applicants must:
- fully complete the tenant application form;
- provide two personal character references from a person who is not a family member; and
- provide a reference from a doctor advising they can live independently and look after themselves with a minimum of social service support (such as Meals on Wheels, District Nurse visits or home help with cleaning).
Council will meet with applicants in person to determine their suitability. All suitable applicants will be placed on a waiting list and will be offered accommodation in order of their placement on the list.
The acceptance (or otherwise) of prospective tenants remains at the full discretion of the Council.
Applications from people living outside the Masterton District will be considered.