We love to celebrate our community – especially those individuals that work hard to make our community a great place. Every year the Masterton District Council runs the Civic and Youth Awards. We call for nominations in September and celebrate our award recipients with a great event in the first couple of months of the following year.
Do you know someone who goes above and beyond to make the Masterton district even more mighty? We’ve got a range of award categories to recognise different types of contributions to our community.
Nominations for the 2018 awards open on Monday 24th September and close at 4.00pm on Friday 9 November 2018.
You can make a nomination online or, alternatively, fill out a hard copy form and email it to the contact noted on the bottom of the form. All information is provided under with the Civic or Youth Award tab below.
Hard copy forms can also be collected from:
- Masterton District Council, 161 Queen Street
- Masterton District Library, 54 Queen Street.
The Masterton District Council’s Civic Award acknowledges outstanding voluntary service to the Masterton District and its people.
Who is eligible for a Civic Award?
1. The Masterton District Council’s Civic Award acknowledges outstanding voluntary service to the Masterton District and its people.
2. Any person who has already received a Royal or New Zealand honour shall, only in special circumstances, be eligible for a Civic Award.
3. In special circumstances, the selection panel may make a Civic Award to a person who lives outside the district boundaries, providing the deserving voluntary service concerned has been wholly or predominantly carried out for the benefit of the Masterton District and its people.
What kind of service merits a Civic Award?
4. Deserving Voluntary service is recognised by the Masterton District Council’s Civic Awards.
In the ordinary course of events the person’s or group’s service will have overall been of a voluntary nature; however, the payment of an honorarium or such similar monetary recompense to an office holder will not necessarily disqualify the person from receiving an Award.
|Arts and Culture||Enhancing and increasing participation in arts, including music and creative leisure activities|
|Community||A person that has achieved outstanding results.|
|Education||Improving and enhancing the development of young people and children.|
|Heritage and Environment||Improving or revitalising the environment, culture and heritage.|
|Health and Wellbeing||Providing services that enhance the wellbeing of people.|
|Sport and Leisure|
NOTE: This award is for those involved in ‘running’ the sport/leisure activity, e.g. coaching administration, etc as opposed to those who participate in these activities.
|Enhancing and increasing participation in physical sport, leisure and activity and recreational pursuits.|
The Masterton Youth Awards acknowledge outstanding contributions by young people residing within the Masterton District. If you know if someone who goes above and beyond for our community nominate them today!
Who is eligible for a Youth Award?
- The Masterton Youth Awards acknowledge outstanding contributions by young people residing within the Masterton District.
- Any person who has already received a Royal or New Zealand honour shall, only in special circumstances, be eligible for a Youth Award.
- In special circumstances, the selection panel may make a Youth Award to a person who lives outside the district boundaries providing the person’s achievement relates to the Masterton District.
- Youth Awards will be awarded to those between 12 to 24 years of age.
Youth Award Categories:
|Beat Street||Youth who demonstrate a level of significant creativity or made an outstanding contribution in the area of arts, music or culture, or have applied creative thinking to solve a problem in their community.|
|Youth 4 Community||For youth who have participated in volunteer work to support responses to community issues, motivated others, taken on challenges and met them or led a project.|
|Kia Kaha||For a young person who has overcome obstacles to achieve or make a contribution in their chosen field, learning from their mistakes and overcoming adversity, or has been an inspiration to others.|
|Dream Team||For a youth group that has made a significant contribution to the community.|
|Youth 4 Enviro||For a youth group or individual who shows innovation around positive environmental practices and projects that inspire others.|
|Young Employee Award(17 – 24 years)||To recognise a young person’s outstanding contribution and growth in to the workforce and encouraging them in their careers.|
|There are two easy ways to make a nomination:||Masterton District Council|
161 Queen Street
T: 370 6300
E: [email protected]