Working at Masterton District Council means being part of a motivated, professional and customer-focused team in one of New Zealand’s most beautiful districts.
Our people are the key to delivering great services for our community and they do everything from building roads to catching roaming dogs and more.
A word from our CEO
At Masterton District Council we’re focused on getting great outcomes for our communities. We’re passionate about what we do, have some of the best in the business working here and understand what needs to get done to make change in our district.
I’m dedicated to developing talent and creating a space where teams can bring innovative ideas to the table to enable these positive outcomes. We’re all learning as we go with upskilling and professional development a key part of our organisational culture.
In short, the Council is a workplace that offers a unique opportunity for our team members to support the community and find personal and professional fulfilment everyday.
- Full Time
- Permanent position
Are you looking for an opportunity to join your local Council serving the Masterton community?
We’re looking for a resource management professional to lead our resource consenting and District Plan team. Day to day you will be responsible for administering the Wairarapa Combined District Plan, processing resource consent applications and working with our community to support their aspirations in developing our district.
The role will actively drive positive growth in the district through working with key internal and external stakeholders, by advocating for and influencing future developments, with a focus on providing high-quality advice.
So, what’s different about us?
- We’ve just commenced a review of our District Plan, the only combined plan in the country, which gives you the opportunity to help shape the future of our district;
- You’d get the chance to work in one of New Zealand’s most beautiful districts – and we’re just over an hour from the capital city; and
- We have flexible working arrangements that give you the best friendly work environment and the ability to manage your lifestyle of choice.
It’s our aspiration to be the best provincial Council in New Zealand. To achieve that we need the right people on board – attitudes and behaviours are just as important to us. We need someone who can demonstrate an ability to get things done, keep promises around service delivery and timelines, manage expectations and use a common-sense approach.
To be successful, you will bring to this role:
- A tertiary qualification in planning or resource management and five years minimum relevant experience;
- Comprehensive working knowledge of the Resource Management Act and other relevant local government legislation, including managing resource management issues that require some level of compliance and enforcement response;
- Experience working with tangata whenua, knowledge of Tikanga Maori;
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated experience in collaborative approaches to resource management and problem-solving;
- Demonstrated experience in change management and business/process improvements; and
- A full NZ motor vehicle license (current).
If you have a passion for people and planning and have the skills and experience we are looking for, we would love to hear from you.
For more information about the role please see the Position Description (PDF, 625KB) or contact Samantha Fallon for a confidential discussion on 06 370 6300.
To apply for the role please send a covering email and a copy of your CV to [email protected]. Applications close Thursday 5 November, 2020.
In Masterton people enjoy an outdoor lifestyle with a great climate and access to amazing natural resources. Lakes, rivers, surf beaches and mountains make our district an adventurer’s paradise.
In 2017 we were voted New Zealand’s Most Beautiful City, an honour we are proud to have achieved against strong competition from Tauranga and Napier. In fact, the judges said Masterton’s entry blew them away with its wide range of environmental and heritage conservation projects, and the strength of the community engagement “with numerous community groups working hard to make the city a safer and more beautiful community”.
Masterton offers easy living without compromising on access to resources such as great education opportunities for all ages. Our residents also run lots of active clubs and organisations that are always welcoming new members so there are lots of options for new or existing hobbies.
With a mixture of big-box retailers and small independent stores, you can buy almost anything you need from custard squares at a ‘bakery of the year’ award-winning cafe, to top designer brands like Kow Tow in the Kuripuni Shopping Village. With two cinemas, two theatres and lots of restaurants you won’t be lost for entertainment. We play host to huge events such as Wings over Wairarapa, the Balloon Fiesta and Wine and Food Festivals every year to keep your social calendar packed and the family busy.
We don’t always have roles available but we are always keen to hear from awesome people. You can send a speculative CV in the form below. This will be stored by our People and Capability team and if a job opens up that matches your skills, they’ll get in touch. Fill out the form below or send us an email.