Local body elections are held every 3 years. The elections are held under the provisions of the Local Electoral Act 2001, the Local Electoral Regulations 2001 and the Local Government Act 2002. The last local body election was held in 2019.

Election Results


Council Elections

Download the 2019 Election results (PDF, 55KB)

Download the 2016 Election results. (PDF, 63KB)


Montfort Trimble Foundation By-election

A By-election was held on Friday 17 February 2017 to fill one extraordinary vacancy on the Montfort Trimble Foundation. The Montfort Trimble Foundation (the Foundation) is a charitable trust set up to promote public afforestation. The Foundation was established in 2004 and inherited a legacy of public afforestation from Dr Montfort Trimble. It is administered under the provisions of the Masterton District Council (Montfort Trimble Foundation) Act 2003, with Lands Trust Masterton acting as administrators of the Foundation.

Montford Trimble Results (PDF, 121KB)


To vote in a local body election, you need to be enrolled on either the residential or ratepayer electoral roll. You are eligible to enrol on the residential roll if you:

  • Are 18 years of age or older; and
  • Are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident; and
  • Have lived in New Zealand continuously, at any time, for one year or more; and
  • Have lived at your current address for more than one month.

You are eligible to enrol on the ratepayer roll if you:

  • Are a registered parliamentary elector; and
  • Are a non-resident ratepayer who has applied for enrolment on the ratepayer roll or, if you:
  • Are resident outside of Masterton district and have been nominated by a firm, company; corporation or society paying rates on a property in the Masterton district.

 Enrolment form for Ratepayer Electors (PDF, 104KB)


Residential Electoral Roll

All parliamentary electors are automatically enrolled on the local body residential electoral roll at the address where they live. You do not have to be a ratepayer to qualify for enrolment on the residential electoral roll. You can change your address details on the residential electoral roll by:

  • Was this Page Helpful ?
  • YesNo