Masterton District Council has awarded its Road Maintenance Contract to Higgins Contractors Limited.
The contract, worth $33.8 million over five years, is due to start on 1 July 2019.
In December, Council resolved to proceed with a stand-alone road maintenance contract and not join with South Wairarapa and Carterton due to concerns around local competition.
Masterton Mayor Lyn Patterson says Council is required to test the market for contractors.
“The bids received were rigorously examined, and we are confident that the best possible decision has been made for Masterton ratepayers,” Mayor Patterson said.
Higgins already does a lot of Council’s renewal work, she said.
“We have developed a good working relationship with Higgins and they have a sound understanding of our roading needs,” Mayor Patterson said.
The current road maintenance contract is held by Fulton Hogan and expires on 30 June this year.
Mayor Patterson says Council is thankful of the work put in by Fulton Hogan.
“We appreciate the work undertaken by Fulton Hogan over the five year term of the current contract and we thank them for the effort put into maintaining Masterton’s roads for our community.”
The new contract includes:
- urban and rural road maintenance and resealing, footpath and kerb and channel maintenance and renewals
- CBD, carparks and urban street cleaning including mechanical road sweeping, sump emptying, litter bin emptying, bus shelter cleaning
- vegetation control (rural)
- structures maintenance and some renewals (250 bridges)
- signs and guardrails
- street furniture maintenance
- road marking in association with repair works.
Communications and Marketing Manager
027 497 4761