Skip NavigationMenu

COVID-19: Council Services

Wairarapa is at Alert Level 1.

For more information visit the Unite Against Covid-19 Website.

  • Continue contact tracing.
  • If you’re sick, stay home. 

Council services – here’s what to expect:

Continuing as normal:

  • Water treatment
  • Wastewater treatment
  • Water testing
  • Kerbside rubbish collection
  • Kerbside recycling collection in urban areas

Under Level 1:

  • Council offices – will be open from 9am – 4pm weekdays. Cash will be accepted and payments can also be made via the website, through online banking and direct debits instead.
  • Library –  open normal hours
  • Wairarapa Archives are available for remote enquiries only.  Enquiries can be made by calling 06 370 6311 or by emailing [email protected]
  • Swimming pools and the recreation centre are open, you can visit their website for more information. You will need to maintain physical distancing.
  • Community halls remain open.
  • Playgrounds remain open.
  • Public toilets remain open, with extra cleaning.

Transfer stations: 

  • Transfer stations throughout Wairarapa are open to all public users with general waste, recycling and green waste.

Parks and sportsfields:

  • Parks and sportsfields are open to use.

Building-related services:

  • Provision of LIMs, PIMs and the processing of building and planning consents.
  • Building inspections will be carried out with strict hygiene protocols.
  • Advice is available for landowners and planning work.


  • Roading maintenance and repair will continue, and planned construction work will resume.

Animal/environmental services:

  • Animal and Environmental Health-related calls, including dog control and noise complaints, will be actioned.

Official Sources of Information

If you can’t get essentials like food or medicine and don’t have a family member or friend that can help, you can call the Wairarapa COVID-19 Helpline on 0800 239 247.

Latest updates:

Mental Wellbeing:

Financial support:

Ministry of Health:

Ministry of Education:

Wellington Regional Emergency Management Office WREMO:

Wairarapa COVID-19 Updates page:

  • Was this Page Helpful ?
  • YesNo