It’s nesting season for our birdlife at Henley Lake. As a dog owner, we know you’re keen to take Fido as many places as possible. As much as it’s great to let dogs run free, we do have some guidelines to keep dogs and people safe so if you’re out walking Ruby or Rufus, please make sure they’re on a lead in the designated on-lead areas for the next few months (until the end of November).
We’ll be out and about at Henley Lake touching base with dog walkers making sure the on-lead areas are clear. But don’t worry! There is still plenty of room for Fido to roam free in other areas of Henley Lake.
With that in mind, please keep your dog on a lead in the following places:
- Areas zoned urban in the District Plan, outside the dog prohibited area.
- Any area developed or marked out as a sports field during sporting events, or any outdoor court, skateboard park or cycle park
- The coastal settlement of Riversdale and Castlepoint between 20 December and 31 January
- Northern end of Riversdale Beach (north of the estuary)
- Southern Reserve at Riversdale Beach
- Far end of the reef at Castlepoint Beach, by the area known as ‘the gap’
- Signposted areas of Henley Lake between 1 August and 30 November
You can let your dogs run free in the following places, so long as they are under supervision and control.
|Henley Lake||All areas controlled by the Henley Lake Management Plan with the exception of leash restrictions imposed between 1 August and 30 November in signposted areas to protect breeding birds|
|Lansdowne Recreation Trail||Including Ngāti te Korou Reserve|
|Waipoua River||Banks up to and including top of the stop bank|
|Waingawa Northern River Bank and South Road||South from the intersection with Manaia Road South|
Beach-front north of DOC reserve (also known as the Basin), excluding the far end of the reef where birds breed (by the area known as ‘the gap’) and the period between 20 December and 31 January*
Beach‐front (excluding the northern end and Southern Reserve where birds breed) except between 20 December and 31 January*
|Ruamāhunga River bank||Town side north of Te Ore Ore Road bridge, including Percy’s Reserve|