This section undertakes a statutory and educational role especially in terms of the Resource Management Act, Health Act, Food Act, Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act and Building Act.

It ensures correct standards for all food premises, buildings, licensed premises, noise pollution, nuisance, hazardous substances, offensive trades, water quality, food borne disease and sub-standard housing.

Environmental Health Matters Include:
Application Forms/Procedures
Hazardous Substances and New Organisms
Toxic Algae
Noise Control
Food Premises
Food Bylaw
Housing Conditions
Food Control Plans – Voluntary Implementation
Programme (VIP)
Resource Management
Food Act 2014
Water Supply Monitoring
Take Over an Existing Premises
Private Water Supplies
Beauty Industry Bylaw
Contact Us

Food Premises
Anyone in the business of storing, selling and preparing food for sale must do so on a registered premises. The Environmental Health Section inspects and registers approximately 150 food premises annually, ranging in size from major manufacturing premises to street stalls selling hot dogs, with the objective of ensuring safe food and guarding public health.

Food Act 2014
The Food Act was passed into law in June 2014. It will come into force on 1st March 2016, after this date there will be time for businesses to change to the new requirements. Some businesses will be required to run a Food Control Plan – the same one that some businesses are running voluntarily already. Other, lower risk food businesses will fall under National Food Handler Guidance. If you want to adopt the FCP now read more above. If you want some more information about where your business will fit under the new law, please click here.

Application for Food Premises

Where Do I Fit?

Use this tool to find out what rules you need to follow under the Food Act 2014. Click here

Template Food Control Plan

The FCP template provides a set of food safety procedures that you can tailor to suit your business.
All templates can be purchased from the Masterton District Council, or you can print them from the MPI website – click here

Price List for Food Control Plan as at 1 March 2016

Diary’s $15 per unit Basic Pack $15 per unit
Retail $6 per unit Specialist food Service and Catering – Serve Safe $6 per unit
Specialist Retail – Bakery Safe $6 per unit Specialist Retail- Fishmonger Safe $6 per unit
Specialist Retail- Butchery Safe $6 per unit Specialist Retail- Delicatessen Safe $6 per unit

Example of a Cleaning Schedule
A cleaning schedule is a way of systematically making sure that your food premises is kept clean and hygienic. It should give enough information so a member of staff can see what needs cleaning, which chemical to use, and how to dilute that chemical correctly. Walk through your premises making a note of all the cleaning tasks that need doing daily/weekly/monthly/6 monthly.

Here is an example of a cleaning schedule format which is clear and easy to use. Thanks to Hell Pizza for their assistance in creating this example.

Sickness Policies
Here is the sickness policy from the Food Control Plan, it contains information on what sickness information you need to keep and an example for you to complete to comply with the bylaw. Your sickness records must be held on site, three years of records should be kept available.

Food Control Plans – Voluntary Implementation Programme (VIP)
If you are already operating a Food Control Plan you can download or print replacement pages for the Food Control Plan here or replacement diaries here.

Voluntary Implementation Program has now been replaced with the Food Act 2014. Premises currently operating a VIP must transfer to a plan under the Food Act 2014 before 30th November 2019.

Take Over an Existing Premises
If you take over an existing registered business, you must notify us by completing the relevant application form. This must be sent to the Council before you begin operating the business.

All hairdressers salons need to be registered by the local authority under the Health (Registration of premises) Regulations 1966. The certificate you will be issued after Registration needs to be displayed in a public part of the premises.

– Procedures/Application Forms for Hairdressers

It is essential to familiarise yourself with the Health (Hairdressers) Regulations 1980. This sets out:

The structural criteria for hairdressers’ shops.
The conduct and practices of hairdressers.
The regulations can be downloaded free of charge here.

Beauty Industry Bylaw
On 1st September 2013 a bylaw came in to force in the Masterton District requiring the registration of Beauty Therapists, Solarium Operators, Nail Technicians, Tattooists and Skin Piercers. To see the bylaw in full click here.

The bylaw requires the following:

Registration of all premises where the procedures are carried out.
All practitioners to be trained to a recognised standard
Certain physical standards for the premises and equipment provided
That written records are kept of specified information
Sterilisation and disinfection are carried out using accepted methods
For a registration form click here. Guidance notes are also available to help you complete the application form here.

Existing premises must register before 28th February 2014. Any new premises opening after the 1st September 2013 must register under the bylaw before they open to the public.

Hazardous Substances and New Organisms
The Environmental Health section is a member of the Wairarapa Hazardous Substances Technical Liaison Committee which responds to chemical and dangerous goods spillage incidents so as to minimise danger to the community and environment and also advises on the safe disposal of hazardous or contaminated materials.

The Environmental Protection Authority offers a free toolbox service to help you manage your hazardous substances. To order your free toolbox today phone 0800 376 234 or visit

Toxic Algae
Environmental Health monitors toxic algae in Henley Lake, Greater Wellington Regional Council monitors toxic algae in rivers. Toxic algae has become a more high profile issue in the past 10 years, and has been linked to dog deaths at the Waipoua and Hutt Rivers. Blooms of algae can occur in rivers and lakes in summer months. For more information about toxic algae click here or see links below:

– Current Status of Henley Lake
– Current Status of Beach and River Water Quality and the Toxic Algae updates

Noise Control
The Environmental Health section enforces the noise control provisions of the Resource Management Act 1991 and the noise provisions in the District Plan.

– Noise Control – Managing Noise in Masterton.

Complaints about excessive or unreasonable noise are investigated on a 24 hour a day basis, with after-hours calls being investigated by a local security firm.

Complaints or enquires Monday – Friday 8.00am – 4.30pm to Council phone (06) 370 6300.

Complaints or enquires after office hours can be made to Armourguard Security Ltd phone 0800 766 600.

If a property is in such a condition that it causes nuisance, Environmental Health Officers can investigate. Where a nuisance is confirmed, the owner of the property causing the nuisance can be required to carry out works to remove the nuisance.

Housing Conditions
Current housing law in New Zealand gives Environmental Health Officers limited powers to improve housing conditions. However, if you feel that your rental property does not give you an adequate supply of water, have adequate drainage or adequate toilet/bath provisions, this can be investigated. If you feel your property is in a dangerous/unsanitary condition, you should contact the Building Control or Environmental Health Department.

Resources Management
The environmental health section monitors the effects of processes and discharges into the environment as required by the Resource Management Act. This includes discharges from industrial processes or contamination to land, water and air which could arise from refuse disposal sites, sewage treatment plants and other activities that could impact adversely on environment and community.

Water Supply Monitoring
This section carries out the monitoring of the Masterton water supply and 10 rural supplies. Water samples are taken on a weekly or monthly basis to ensure that water quality is maintained and is within the guideline limits detailed in the Health (Drinking Water) Amendment Act 2007.

Private Water Supplies
This section facilitates bacteriological sampling of private water supplies, please phone 06 370 6300 for more information.

If you are organising an event, good planning is essential. There are a number of things you will need to consider, some may apply to your event, some may not:

Food Safety Requirements
Alcohol Licensing – an Alcohol Management Plan
may be needed
Building Consent for large marquees
Toilet Facilities
First Aid Provision
Road Closures
Litter Control
Noise Control
Planning Consent
Amusement Device Licences
For small events it is likely that many of these will not apply so please get in touch to see what applies to you before you carry out lots of work planning your event. You should contact the Council at least 2 months prior to the event to discuss what will be required. This will give you enough time to comply with any legal requirements that may apply to your event.

Other Information You May Find Helpful
“Guide to Organising an Event” in the Masterton district is available from the Council Office or here.

Contact Us
If you have any queries please phone 06 370 6300 or email: [email protected]