Skip NavigationMenu

Information for voters

He kōrero mā ngā kaipōti

Find out what you need to do as a voter for the 2022 local elections so you can have your say on the future direction of our city and district.

Check or update your postal address to make sure you receive your voting papers.

You can vote in the local elections if you’re on the electoral roll and live in the Masterton District.  If you live outside of Masterton but own property here, you are also eligible to vote.

Voting closes at 12 noon on Saturday 8 October 2022.

How to Enrol

Who can vote

To be eligible to vote you must:

  • be 18 years old or older
  • currently live in New Zealand
  • be a New Zealand resident, permanent resident, or citizen
  • have been living in New Zealand continuously for 12 months or more.

How to enrol to vote

If you’re not sure if you’re enrolled or your details have changed, check or update your details online, or call 0800 36 76 56.

To enrol you must verify your identity and will need one of the following documents:

  • New Zealand driver’s licence.
  • New Zealand passport.
  • Your RealMe verified identity.

If you are not able to enrol online, there are other ways to enrol or to update your details. Go to other ways to enrol for more information.

Resident ratepayer electoral roll

You are automatically enrolled to vote in the 2022 local body elections if you’re a Masterton resident and are already on the parliamentary electoral roll for the general election.

If you have changed address

When you move house be sure to inform the Electoral Commission.

When voting papers are returned as undelivered to the Electoral Commission, they have no option but to remove you from the electoral roll if you haven’t updated your address.

You can check and update your details at or by calling 0800 36 76 56.

Anywhere you pay rates you can vote | Non-resident ratepayer electoral roll or ratepayer elector

If you pay rates on a property in a different area to where you live, you may be eligible to enrol on the non-resident ratepayer electoral roll. A company or society that pays property rates can also qualify as a ratepayer elector. You can only enrol, or be nominated to enrol, once in a council district, no matter how many properties you own in that district.

So, if you own property in Masterton but aren’t a resident who is on the Masterton District Electoral Roll, you should check your eligibility. If you are eligible, complete the Ratepayer Enrolment Form (PDF, 163KB)  or enrol via the online portal here:

If you need any further information or if you have enrolled on the non-resident ratepayer roll but don’t receive voting papers in the mail by 21 September 2022 you will need to cast a special vote – please contact Harriet Kennedy on 06 370 6300 or [email protected].

Why you should vote

Democracy is at its best when voices of the people are heard.

It’s important for voters to pay attention to local elections and to take the time to learn about the aspirations of candidates and their proposals.

There’s no level of government in Aotearoa New Zealand that is more directly involved in the day-to-day happenings within your local community, than your council.

The mayor and councillors make decisions that have an impact on many aspects of your life and your local community.

Vote to have a say on Masterton’s future

Voting in the local elections is important if you want to have your say on what matters to you. We deliver many services to our communities across the Masterton District such as:

  • the rates you pay and the services and assets they pay for
  • the town’s economic recovery and investment for vital infrastructure
  • what cultural, family and sporting events take place near you
  • play spaces for children in your local parks
  • visiting the library, recreation centres and pools or hiring a community hall
  • rules around where you can walk your dog
  • town centre and local development and a thriving community
  • making it safer for cyclists and pedestrians around the city and region
  • a range of other services, like checking buildings are built properly, restaurant health rules, alcohol licences and public art.

The people you vote for will also decide on funding and maintenance of critical infrastructure that makes Masterton a great place to live. Your vote can make a difference.

For more information on our Council and what we’re involved in, read the Masterton District Council Pre-Election Report (PDF, 3MB)


How to receive your voting papers in the post

If you enrolled to vote before 12 August 2022, you’ll get a voting information pack in the mail.

Voting papers will be sent to all eligible voters from Friday 16 September 2022 to Wednesday 21 September 2022.

You should know: If you are registered on the unpublished electoral roll, you will need to call the Electoral Office on 0800 922 822 to receive your voting papers.

What to do if you don’t receive your voting papers

If your voting pack does not arrive in the post – as you may have recently changed address or you are on the unpublished electoral roll – you can cast a special vote.

Special Votes

Sometimes you might need to cast what’s called a ‘special vote’. You will need to do this if you:

  • didn’t receive your voting forms in your letterbox
  • lost or damaged your voting forms
  • enrolled or updated your details on the Electoral Roll after 12 August 2022
  • are on the unpublished (confidential) Electoral Roll.
  • have been living at a new address for a month or more, or your enrolled address is out of date.

Casting is a special vote is easy. If you haven’t received any voting papers in the mail by 21 September, come and see the us at Waiata House, 27 Lincoln Road, Masterton and ask to cast a special vote. It’s quick – you can vote on site or take it away to vote later.

If you can’t come to see us, we can send the forms out to you. Email [email protected]

Voters who live overseas

If you live overseas, you can still take part in local elections.

Ensure you are correctly enrolled with your overseas postal address to receive your voting papers.

You should know: You can’t download voting papers for local elections.

Where to drop off your voting papers

You can drop off your voting papers at the Masterton District Council office at 27 Lincoln Road until noon Saturdat 8 October.

Frequently Asked Questions

How and when will I get my voting papers?

If you’re enrolled to vote, your voting pack will arrive in the post from Friday 16 September – you should have received it by Wednesday 21 September.

How and when will we know the results of our votes?

Voting progress results will be available early afternoon on this website and Council’s website on Saturday 8 October (election day).

Preliminary results will be shared on both websites on Sunday 9 October and the final declaration of results is expected by late afternoon on Thursday 13 October, which will also be published to both websites. You can also phone the electoral office for results on 0800 36 76 56.

Where email addresses have been provided, candidates will be emailed both the progress and preliminary results, once available.

How is voting being conducted this year?

Voting is being conducted via post. There is no online voting. Make sure you post your votes by 5pm Tuesday 4 October to meet the deadline.

I made a mistake on/damaged my voting documents, what do I do?

If you can amend it so that your voting intention is clear, then do so and write your initials next to the changes. If this isn’t an option, you can be issued a special vote. 

I've lost my return envelope, what do I do?

You can use an envelope of your own and put the return address and Freepost number on it. Or, you can hand-deliver it to our Council service centre at 161 Queen Street. 

When do elected members take up their role?

All members leave office and come into office on the day after the declaration of results is publicly notified – which will be between Thursday 13 and Wednesday 19 October.

Who are Electoral Officers and what is their role?

Each local authority must appoint an electoral officer and a deputy electoral officer. Electoral officers are responsible for all matters relating to a particular election or poll.

Electoral officers carry out their designated duties under the Local Electoral Act 2001 and any other enactment where they have legislative responsibilities. One of the key requirements of their role is that they manage elections independently of the elected body. Another key requirement is that they maintain the security of electoral records and the secrecy of the vote.

Contact the Electoral Commission

Contact the Electoral Commission if you:

  • have any queries about enrolling
  • need to update your details
  • want to check your electorate/ ward / local board area
  • have changed home address.

Visit the Electoral Commission website or phone 0800 36 76 56.

  • Was this Page Helpful ?
  • YesNo