Building Inspections

Work on your build can begin when you have received your building consent. If a resource consent is needed, you might need to wait until that is issued. During building you will need to book different inspections, these will be listed in your consent paperwork.

What inspections do I need?

In most cases a building officer from Council will need to visit the building at different stages during the work to make sure the work complies with the consent. Normally the inspector will record the inspection by making notes and taking photos. When your application is processed, the building officer will decide what inspections you need.

Each inspection will be identified on the site check sheet attached to your building consent. Typical inspections may include but are not limited to: foundations, concrete masonry, concrete floor slab, pre-cladding, cladding, pool fencing, wet area membranes and fireplaces, pre-line building and plumbing, post-lining, drainage and a final inspection.

In some cases commercial final inspections will need 2 inspectors to review the specified systems. Nonstandard inspection types will be noted on the inspection list for your consent.

Sometimes specialists need to do inspections in addition to the inspections carried out by the Building Consent Authority (BCA). If a specialist inspection is needed you will be told before the consent is issued. Generally, these inspections are needed to confirm ground stability or specific design by a registered engineer.

It’s the owner’s responsibility to make sure that the BCA is told ahead of time when an inspection is needed. The Building Officer will email a copy of the inspection sheet to the contact person. Please make sure you read the inspection requirements and are familiar with them before starting work. If in doubt, please ask. Missed inspections might mean that a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) can’t be issued.

How do I book an inspection?

Building inspections are booked through the administration team by phoning 06 370 6300 (do not contact the building inspectors directly). Inspections are undertaken Monday – Friday 9.00am to 3.00pm (excluding public holidays). Fixed time inspections are completed in special circumstances.

You need to give the following information when you book an inspection:

  • site address;
  • building consent number;
  • name and telephone number of contact person on site;
  • email address of where the site inspection result will be sent to;
  • date and time the inspection is required; and
  • type of inspection, ie plumbing, drainage, foundation, pre-slab, pre-line, etc.

If it is Restricted Building Works (RBW) please provide the names of any relevant Licensed Building Practitioners (LBP’s) including licence references

Please Note:

It’s you or your builder’s responsibility to tell Council a minimum of 24 hours before you require an inspection.

How do I know if the inspection has been passed?

At the conclusion of all inspections, the outcome is recorded on the site inspection sheet and emailed to the nominated person. We recommend that the owner or an agent is on-site for inspections to make sure they understand the outcome. You might be asked to stop work or continue with conditions (conditional continuation) if the inspector fails the inspection or the work is non-compliant or unsafe.

Please Note:

No plans and documentation on site = No inspection.

What if the inspection is not approved?

If the inspection fails, the work to be fixed will be recorded on the site inspection sheet. Another inspection will be required to check the remedial work. In some cases work may have to stop, in others some work may be allowed to continue or an amendment might need to be applied for. If the work is not fixed to the satisfaction of the building officer, a Notice to Fix (NTF) could be issued.

Building control officers may refuse to complete the inspection if the site is seen to be unsafe.

What is a Notice to Fix (NTF)?

An NTF is a formal notice issued by the BCA advising that some works haven’t been done in line with the building consent or the Code/Act. If an NTF is issued you must address the issues within the given timeframe to prevent further action being taken. Normally an NTF will be issued for serious or ongoing breaches. If an NTF is issued, documentation identifying and explaining the process will accompany it.

Do I need a final inspection?

Yes, all building consents need a final inspection. The reason for the final inspection is to ensure that all work is completed to the extent required by the Building Consent.

Although there is no imposed time frame on an owner to complete work, on the 2 year anniversary of the granting of your consent, the BCA is required to decide if a CCC can be issued. If you cannot complete the work in this time, you need to contact us to discuss timeframes.

An owner must apply for a CCC once all the work described in their building consent is finished. To apply you must complete a CCC application form (PDF, 63KB) including filling in details of who did the work and when the work was completed.

Once the application has been made, the BCA has 20 working days to decide whether to issue a CCC. The BCA will complete an inspection, if a final inspection hasn’t already been done, and make sure all documentation has been received. The required documentation will be listed on the building consent, if all building work complies and documentation is supplied, a CCC may be issued. If a CCC cannot be issued the 20 working day clock is stopped and further information will be requested or the CCC will be refused.

The CCC can only be issued where the BCA is satisfied on reasonable grounds that the work complies with the consent.

You are responsible for the safety of visitors to the work site including those undertaking building inspections. You must provide safe access to parts of the construction necessary for inspection. Ladder access must be securely founded and tied. Scaffold access and roof edge protection is generally required. Inspectors will not inspect unsafe sites.

  • Was this Page Helpful ?
  • YesNo