Skip NavigationMenu

Code Compliance Certificate

Once the project is complete, it is vital to apply for a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC). A CCC is a final certification confirming that the BCA is satisfied on reasonable grounds that all works undertaken comply with the building consent. 

The CCC is a very important legal document and can have an impact on your insurance. If a CCC is not obtained in a timely manner, it can be difficult to sign off at a later date, which can have an impact on selling the property amongst other things.

When phoning to book the inspection, identify it as a ‘final inspection’. During the inspection, important paperwork will also be collected – this can include:

  • Application for Code Compliance Certificate (signed)
  • Electrical completion certificate
  • LBP memorandums of work
  • Drainage as-built

The building inspector will let you know if any other paperwork is required.

The inspector will check that the work completed complies with the approved plans. If everything is ok you will be told, and the CCC will be issued later and posted to you.

Producer Statements

In some cases the BCA may accept a producer statement from a suitably qualified person verifying compliance with the Code or consent. A producer statement (expert opinion) for design (PS 1) has, in the past, been accepted in the processing of a Building Consent which clearly identifies the intent of the design and construction details required for completion.

Some details of your building consent may be required to be peer reviewed by a Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng). A Producer Statement (PS2 Design Review) will be required to be supplied from the CPEng. Council can complete this process for you or you can elect to have the structural design reviewed by your own engineer. All costs are the responsibility of the owner.

Below are details for when a peer review is or isn’t required:

  • Simple designs to NZS3604 i.e. bracing, foundations would not need to be reviewed.
  • Simple steel beams (with good connection details shown) would also not need to be peer reviewed.
  • Sheds with an importance level 1 and in a rural situation i.e. hay sheds do not need to be peer reviewed.
  • A shed with an importance level 2 and to be used for residential dwellings do need to be peer reviewed.
  • Complex designs outside the scope of NZS3604 and structural designs completed by an engineer that isn’t a CPEng, whether deemed simple designs or not, would need to be peer reviewed and a PS2 would need to be supplied with the building consent.

If you choose to have the design peer-reviewed using your own engineer please ensure that the engineer who completes the peer review (and provides the PS2) is a Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng) and has the correct competence to complete the review. Council will require evidence that the engineer is a CPEng and that their area of expertise is suitable to complete the review of your design.

These details can be found on the Engineering NZ website or by calling 04 473 9444.

Please note:

It is strongly recommended that you check with the building department to ensure the engineer you are using is competent to do so.
Identified also are additional inspections required by the suitably qualified independent design professional that are to be carried out along with and including BCA inspection requirements. A Construction review PS4 (statement of expert opinion) will be required to be issued by the agreed suitably qualified independent design professional where requested prior to issuing a Code Compliance Certificate. It must state that the building was constructed as per the building consent documents and be accompanied by copies of all inspection reports and site notes for the project made during construction of the building works.

  • Was this Page Helpful ?
  • YesNo