Skip NavigationMenu


The relocation of a dwellinghouse or other principal building requires a resource consent for a controlled activity and a building consent for the new foundations and any additions or alterations to the original building. 

Resource Consent

The following information must accompany the application form:

  1. Four photographs of the building (four different perspectives, N, S, E, W).
  2. An appraisal from the Council’s building inspector or other person approved by the council, to determine the extent of any work required to upgrade the condition of the building.
  3. Site plan.
  4. Plan of any alterations.
  5. Proposed landscaping and entranceway.
  6. Effluent disposal design (Rural only).

Once all this information has been checked and approved by the Council’s planning staff, it can then be taken to those likely to be affected for their written consent.

The Council will provide you with:

  • A map of the area showing affected properties.
  • The names of those from whom consent is required;
  • alternatively the proposal can be publicly notified.

Once all the consents are obtained and delivered to the Council the planning staff can write a decision.

The decision will comprise conditions, including a bond to ensure that physical upgrade work as required by the Council is carried out, and a minimum six-month time frame for the completion of conditions.

Note: The bond must be from an accepted lending institution eg. Bank or Building Society. Forms for this purpose are available from the Council Office.

Building Consent

Building Consent Application must include:

  • A completed building consent application form with check sheets.
  • A site plan showing the position of the building on the site and dimensions from the building to all property boundaries.
  • A pile layout plan including overall dimensions of the building and bracing schedule detailing the position of ordinary and brace piles. Include details of proposed connections of bearers to piles, ordinary and anchor and brace connections.
  • A floor plan of the building drawn to scale showing the type and layout of rooms, include windows, doors, fixtures and the position of new smoke detectors to be installed.
  • Details of floor levels above ground including access into the building.
  • Details and specifications of repairs or alterations to be made e.g. where chimneys etc are removed. All cut structural members (studs, rafters, ceiling joist. Floor joist etc) are required to be joined on structural supports as per NZS3604 or engineers specific design submitted.
  • Details and specifications of materials to be used for renewal work i.e roofing, weatherboards.
  • A drainage plan showing the layout of new connections.
  • A drainage specification of all materials to be used.
  • An engineers effluent disposal design (if the property is in the rural area).
  • Full plans and specifications (as detailed on the application for check sheets) for any new additions or internal alterations (including decks) to the building.
  • A fee as detailed on the fee sheet available from the council office.

Reconstruction methods must comply with the building code for all structural building members that have been cut for relocation purposes.

All buildings to be relocated to any area of the Masterton District outside the Masterton Urban confines will require the roof rafters and purlins to be strap fixed to resist uplift as required in NZS 3604 1999. This work will be included as part of the resource consent bond.

No building can be shifted into the Masterton District without the issue of:

  • Resource Consent and acceptance of the board.
  • Building Consent.
  • Engineer designed effluent disposal system (rural areas only).

Any further information required should be obtained directly from the planning staff or building inspector.

  • Was this Page Helpful ?
  • YesNo