Resource Consents

Navigating your way around a District Plan or lodging a resource consent application can seem like a complex and daunting process. If you’re just getting started we can help you understand the rules that might affect what you are looking to do, or if your further along we can give you advice on what to include in your resource consent application.

Can’t make it into our office? No problem, we also offer this service over the phone or via email.


How long will it take for Council to process my resource consent?

The Resource Management Act allows the processing of a resource consent to take 20 working days. However, the Council may extend the timeframe under Section 37 of the Resource Management Act. From time to time applications may be placed on hold while we ask for further information from you. The timeframes continue once you provide that information.

When can I start my activity or development?

As soon as you receive your decision, and subject to meeting any conditions set on the decision you may commence your activity or development.

How much will my resource consent cost?

Please refer to the fees and charges page of our website.

My neighbour has asked me to sign an ‘Affected Party Approval Form’ for their development. What does this mean?

This means they would like you to approve their proposal. If you elect to provide your written approval, you essentially agree to any effects that the proposal may result in. The Planner processing your application will need to disregard you from their assessment. Before providing your written approval you should understand the full extent of what is proposed and the likely impact on you.

How high can I build my fence without requiring a Resource Consent?

The Wairarapa Combined District Plan sets a 1.8m maximum for fences in the Residential zone. Anything above this will require Resource Consent. It is also important to note that any fence greater than 2.5m in height will also require a Building Consent.

How do I find out the zoning for my property?

You can search your property on our Wairarapa Combined District Map viewer or alternatively you can contact anyone in the Planning department.

How can I tell where my boundary is?

The Certificate of Title for a property shows the dimensions of the boundaries. There are normally survey pegs in each corner of the site. If these cannot be found, a surveyor should be employed to determine where the boundary is. The Council cannot not advise you on this.

Where can I get a copy of the Certificate of Title for my property?

Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) hold copies of all Certificates of Title. You can contact them directly for a copy of your title, or the Council can provide you with one for a $20 fee.

Do I require a Resource Consent if I am placing a relocated building on my site?

Yes – all relocated buildings will require a resource consent. Check out our resources section of the website for further detail around the resource and building consent requirements.

My neighbour’s trees are extending onto my property and blocking sun, what can I do?

The Wairarapa Combined District Plan does not contain any rules in relation to trees. If you have concerns about the height of trees on your property boundary we suggest you talk to your neighbour directly in the first instance about resolving the issue, or seek legal advice. The Wairarapa Community Law Centre can provide free legal advice should you require it.

How close to the boundary can I build?

The minimum building setbacks can be found in the Wairarapa Combined District Plan. For rural setbacks check Rule 4.5.2 and for residential setbacks check Rule 5.5.2.

  • Was this Page Helpful ?
  • YesNo