Apply for a Resource Consent

At Masterton District Council we deal with two types of resource consents; subdivision and land use consents.

  • A subdivision consent is needed to legally divide land or buildings for separate ownership, for example into new lots or sections, unit titles or cross lease.
  • A land use consent may be needed for particular activities such as extending or constructing a new building, erecting a sign or starting up a business.


Key steps in the resource consent application process

  1. Determine whether you need a resource consent for your project.
  2. Apply for a resource consent. You need to include:
    • An Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE) (See further information below)
    • Written approval from affected parties if applicable.
    • Other supporting documents (e.g. plans, site elevations, etc).
    • Fee
  3. An acknowledgement letter will be sent confirming receipt of your application.
  4. Within 10 working days we will determine if your consent requires notification.
  5. If your application is processed on a non-notified basis we will make a decision on your application within 20 working days. 

Once you have collated all the relevant information you can lodge your resource consent by dropping your application into the Councils Offices, emailing it or posting your application to: Masterton District Council, PO Box 444, Masterton.


What is an Assessment of Environmental Effects or an AEE?

An AEE is a written statement from you that details any actual or potential environmental effects resulting from your proposed activity and how the potentially negative effects could be avoided.

For example, an extension to an existing building might result in the following effects:

  • Temporary effects such as dust and noise during the construction period.
  • Permanent effects such as shading and loss of privacy for neighbouring properties.
  • Cumulative effects such as a change in street character.

After identifying the potential effects, you then need to look at whether they are significant enough that you should avoid them altogether, remedy them by changing your proposal, or mitigating them by reducing their effect.

For example, if we use the example of an extension to a building above

  • You could avoid the cumulative effects if you changed the design.
  • You could remedy the visual effects of the extension and privacy issues by landscaping the area or building a fence; or
  • You could mitigate the temporary effects of the extension by limiting hours of construction and setting dust management protocol for the site.

The level of information we require in an AEE depends entirely on the complexity of the proposal. Some applications will require more detail and analysis than others. If your proposal is complex, then we would suggest engaging a consultant to assist you with the application to make sure we have all the information we require to assess the application when it is lodged.

  • Was this Page Helpful ?
  • YesNo