Skip NavigationMenu


Before you install a new or replacement woodburner, you will need to get a building consent. You will also need a building consent to move an existing burner to a new location in your house.

The building consent application should include:

  • Completed application form
  • Proof of ownership (can be your latest rate notice)
  • A floor plan – showing the proposed location of the woodburner and smoke alarms
  • The manufacturers installation instructions for your burner
  • The manufacturers installation instructions for your flue
  • Roof flashing details

A building consent for a woodburner follows the same process as all other building consents. If you’re putting in a new clean air burner you might be able to get a grant from the Wellington Regional Council. Their website also has a list of authorised woodburners so you can make sure it’s compliant before you buy a burner.

  • Was this Page Helpful ?
  • YesNo