Before installing a new or replacement woodburner, it is important to obtain a Building Consent first.
A building consent is also required to move an existing burner to a new location within your house.
The Building Consent application should include:
- Completed application form
- Proof of ownership (can be the latest rate demand)
- A floor plan – showing the proposed location of the woodburner and smoke alarms
- The manufacturers installation instructions for your chosen burner
- The manufacturers installation instructions for your chosen flue
- Roof flashing details
The Building Consent for a woodburner follows the same process and time lines as all other building consents. You cannot install your new burner until you have had your building consent.
If you are installing a new clean air burner you may also be eligible for a grant from the Wellington Regional Council.