Skip NavigationMenu

Changes to your Business (Variation of Conditions)

If you want to vary a condition of your existing licence, and do not want to wait until your next renewal, you can apply for a variation of conditions on your licence.

Examples of changes to your licence could include:

  • Extending your licensed hours
  • Adding an outdoor area
  • Increasing the size of your licensed area
  • Changing from a restaurant to a tavern

How to Apply

1. Get all the information together

You need to provide a copy of:

  • Your existing licence
  • New planning and building certificates, if required – contact us to find out if you need these certificates.


2. Calculate your fee

You need to pay a non-refundable fee with your application. Use the information on the application form to calculate the fee, or use our Alcohol licence fee calculator (PDF, 70KB).


3. Pay the fee and apply for a variation

Download and fill in an application form:

Application for variation or cancellation of conditions of licence form (PDF, 333KB)

You can drop off your application at any of our offices and pay by cash, cheque, eftpos, or credit card.

If posting your application, include a cheque. Post to:
Masterton District Council
PO Box 444
Masterton 5810

We will contact you if we need more information.

We will process your application and contact you with the decision before your event. If there are any issues, we will let you know.


4. Notify the public that you’ve made an application

After you lodge your application, you’ll need to notify the public. You will be given further information when making your application. Public notices must be displayed on the premises and in a local newspaper.


5. Outcome of your application

We will forward your application to the District Licensing Committee who will make the final decision. If your application is approved, we’ll post your varied licence to you.

We will let you know if:

  • Members of the public object to your application.
  • NZ Police or Regional Public Health Service oppose your application.

The District Licensing Committee will contact you and you may need to attend a public hearing before a final decision is made.

  • Was this Page Helpful ?
  • YesNo