Skip NavigationMenu

Taking Over an Alcohol Premises (Temporary Authority)

What is a temporary authority?

If you are taking over a business that already has a current alcohol licence, you can apply for a temporary authority.  An alcohol licence cannot be transferred to a new owner. Applying for temporary authority allows you to sell and supply alcohol for up to three months under the existing terms and conditions of the current licence, this gives you time to lodge a new application.

For more information, see apply for an on, off or club licence. 

A temporary authority cannot be issued to a club.

How to apply for temporary authority

1. Get all the information together

Read the checklist on the front page of the Temporary Authority Application (PDF, 844KB) to make sure you include all the documents we need.

2. Pay the fee and apply for temporary authority

The non-refundable fee for a temporary authority is $296.70 (including GST).
You can drop off your application at any of our office and pay by cash, cheque, eftpos, or credit card.

If posting your application, include a cheque.

Post to:
Masterton District Council
PO Box 444
Masterton 5810
We will process your application and contact you with the decision before your event. If there are any issues, we will let you know and contact you if we need more information.

How we assess your application

Your application form will be reviewed by:

  • NZ police
  • One of our alcohol licensing inspectors.

What else you need to know
You must have a certified manager on duty at all times alcohol is being sold. For more information, see apply for or renew a manager’s certificate. For an on-license, you will need to supply food for customers. This means that you will also need to transfer the existing food premises registration.

Outcome of your application

We will forward your application to the District Licensing Committee who will make the final decision. If the District Licensing Committee approves your application, we’ll post your temporary authority to you. If there is opposition to your application, we will let you know.

  • Was this Page Helpful ?
  • YesNo