Fires and Permits



As of 1 July 2018, Fire and Emergency New Zealand have taken over the control of all fires in urban and rural areas and so any inquiries relating to fire seasons, permits or potential fire hazards should be referred directly to or ph. 06 3709550





If you are affected by a neighbouring fire causing smoke nuisance and the smoke smells toxic, or you know the fire contains plastic, rubber, treated wood or other hazardous materials please phone Greater Wellington Regional Council Environmental Hotline on 0800 496 734. 

If the smoke nuisance is relating to burning garden waste please wait 20 minutes to see if the smoke dies down and if not call MDC Animal and Bylaw Services on 06 3706300 or after hours 06 3787752