Roads and Footpaths

The Masterton District Council maintains approximately 802km of local roads, 521km of which are sealed and the remaining 281km unsealed. Roads in the Masterton District are managed by the Council, however State Highway 2 (High Street, Chapel Street & Opaki Road) is managed by the New Zealand Transport Agency, you can visit NZTA’s Wairarapa Maintenance website for more information. Within the road network, Council constructs and maintains the footpaths, pavements, bridges, signs and markings and street lights.

If you are planning road works or any kind of traffic or road-related activity that affects public roads, talk to us about what permissions you may need first, you will need to apply for a Works Access Permit (WAP).

What We’re Working On

Council has an annual resealing programme for its roads, you can find information about which roads are currently in the work plan below.

Planned for w/c 16/03/2020

Pavement Rehabilitation

  • Masterton Castlepoint Rd @ Taueru Lime Co; complete
  • Pavement layer construction will continue on Te Ore Ore Bideford Rd and is expected to be complete and the site sealed this week.
  • Earthworks are complete at Mangapurupuru Rd, subsoil drainage and shoulder strengthening work is under way.


  • Colombo Rd
  • Bute Rd
  • Masterton Castlepoint Rd at Rewanui
  • Masterton Stronvar Rd on the east side of the  Weraiti Hil


Pavement repairs

  • Masterton Stronvar Rd
  • Whangaehu Valley Rd
  • Te OreOre Bideford Rd
  • Blairlogie Langdale Rd

Bridge Repairs

Mangapurupuru Rd

Unsealed Maintenance

Mataikona, Otahome, and Homewood areas.

Changes to the planned works can happen due to unforseen circumstances like poor weather. We will do our best to reflect any of the changes when we know about them however if you have a specific question about your street you can call us at any time on 06 370 6300.

Weekly report period ending 01/03/20 (PDF, 58KB)

Working in the Wairarapa’s Roads and Reserves

 You will need to contact the Council if you want things like:

  •  Driveways designed to access our roads
  •  Road closures for events
  •  Excavation works
  •  New roads or rights of ways to be built to the New Zealand standards

Email [email protected] with your request and we can help you start the process.

General Requirements for Working within Road Reserve Area (or Transport Corridor)

Corridor Access Requests (Excavation)

Any excavation or physical works planned in the road reserve (the transport corridor) will require pre-approval from the Masterton District Council before work commences.

  •  Excavate for Utility repairs or installation
  •  Temporarily close a road to traffic for an event
  •  Create a new driveway

Before U Dig can automatically lodge your Corridor Access Requests while you submit your enquiries. Your application can be started on their website or by contacting BeforeUdig on 0800 248 344.

Council requires a minimum of 15 working days’ notice for applications to be processed.


Corridor Access Requests (Non-Excavation)

There are times when planned work warrants notifying the Council for activities that will occur in the Road Corridor that are not excavations. These may require certain sections of the road corridor to be reserved to ensure the activities are carried out in a safe manner. These events may also create interference to residents or perhaps other contractors carrying out works in the vicinity. Events include things such as concerts, building maintenance, cycling events, exhibitions, festivals, fireworks, parades and sporting events.

Your application for permission can be started by making a request with Corridor Access. The cost per Corridor Access Request (CAR) is $37.37 including GST.

Council requires a minimum of 5 working days’ notice for applications to be processed and more than 42 days’ for Road Closures.


Safety First When Working on our Roads and Footpaths

Council requires all work in the road corridor to comply with the national code of practice available in the related resources sidebar.

There are the standard reference for all temporary traffic management on state highways and local roads. They include levels of temporary traffic management, signs and forms used, and a series of sample traffic management plans.


Reporting a Problem

If you see something that needs fixing then please fill in a Fix it Form.

WAP Process


There are 6 stages to the CAR/WAP Process:

  1. Apply
    • To apply for permission to work in the council’s roading reserves you will need to apply for a Corridor Access Request (CAR). Applications are normally through BeforeUDig. A TMP will be uploaded with your application along with all required supporting documentation to ensure the application is valid.
  2. Process
    • Once you have applied for a CAR, the information is appraised and the process commences. Various approvals are sought and conditions are set relating to the activity.
  3. Review
    • The CAR and work conditions are forwarded to the Corridor Manager for review and final approval.
  4. Approve
    • If council accepts the application, a Works Access Permit is approved. You will then be notified by email that your work is approved to go ahead. Your approved WAP, TMP and conditions will be attached to this email. There is a fee for any WAP issued in the Masterton District.
  5. Completion
    • Once you’ve completed the work, you will need to notify us through your chosen source and complete a Works Completion Notice (A9 Form).
  6. Warranty
    • As part of the conditions for the work, you will be required to remedy any defects found in your completed work for a period of 24 months.
    • Note: Warranty cannot begin until the Practical Completion has been signed off.


Who needs a WAP?

Anyone working within the council’s Transport Corridor, including work on berms and footpaths. State Highways are controlled separately by the NZTA.

Why do I need a WAP?

WAPs are required for various reasons including: protecting council assets, protecting other utility assets that are located within the councils’ road reserves, improving the safety of motorists, improving the safety of those working in the road reserve and co-ordinating work in the road reserve to reduce conflicts.

What happens if I don't have a WAP?

If you do not have a WAP, you do not have the council’s permission to be working on the road reserve and you will be requested to cease work. Also restrictions to your future network access may be implemented/enforced.

What information do I need to include with my Corridor Access Request (CAR)?

All required information submitted i.e. Traffic Management Plan (TMP), Full scope of Works (A3 Form), consents, plans or photos.

How long does a WAP take?

Providing all the information submitted with your application is adequate, your WAP will be approved within 15 working days.

  • Was this Page Helpful ?
  • YesNo