The Masterton District Council (the Council) is committed to the local community being involved in making decisions about things that affect their lives. To do this, we aim to genuinely engage the community in a way that reflects the importance of issues, proposals or decisions being considered. Under the Local Government Act 2002 (LGA), Council is required to develop a policy on significance and engagement. That is, how we determine the importance (significance) of an issue, proposal or decision, and how we go about engaging the community as part of decision-making.
This policy is reviewed every three years as part of the Long-Term Plan process. The current review has focused on ensuring that our Significance and Engagement Policy appropriately reflects how the Council communicates and engages with the community in a way that reflects the importance of issues, proposals or decisions being considered.
The draft revised policy is guided by the following principles:
- Engagement with Māori is based on the commitment to establish relationships that go beyond legislative commitments.
- The Council will use a consistent approach to establish the significance of a matter requiring a decision.
- How we engage, and the extent that we engage on matters, will be tailored to reflect the level of significance.
- Our community will be able to easily understand the different ways we, as Council, will seek to engage them on matters.
- Engagement is proactive, inclusive, accessible, a two-way dialogue, and people are aware of and understand the final decisions taken.
- Our decision-makers are well informed, aware of, and take into account the community’s views.
- Decision-making and engagement processes are clear and transparent.
Have Your Say
Submissions are welcome from any person or organisation who wishes to give feedback.
Submissions close at 4pm on Monday, 3 May 2021.
Written submissions can be made using either our submission form, sending us an email or writing a letter. Hardcopy submission forms are available at our Council office, 161 Queen Street, Masterton or from the Masterton District Library.
You can submit them in the following ways:
Email: send to [email protected] with ‘Draft Significance and Engagement Policy 2021’ in the subject line
Post: Draft Significance and Engagement Policy 2021, Masterton District Council, Freepost 112477, PO Box 444, Masterton
Hand deliver: Draft Significance and Engagement Policy 2021, Masterton District Council, 161 Queen Street, Masterton
Thursday, 1 April 2021: Submissions open.
Monday, 3 May 2021: Submissions close.
May/June 2021: Hearing and Deliberations.
Wednesday, 30 June 2021: Significance and Engagement Policy submitted to Council for