Our feathered friends are starting to nest at Henley Lake, so it’s once again time for dog-walkers to make sure their four-footed friends are on the lead in the wetland area (highlighted in yellow below). Leads are required in this area from 1 August until the end of November.
We’ll be out and about at Henley Lake touching base with dog walkers to make sure they are clear about on-lead areas. There is still plenty of room for dogs to roam free in other areas of Henley Lake.
With that in mind, please keep your dog on a lead in the following places:
- Areas zoned urban in the District Plan, outside the dog prohibited area.
- Any area developed or marked out as a sports field during sporting events, or any outdoor court, skateboard park or cycle park
- The coastal settlement of Riversdale and Castlepoint between 20 December and 31 January
- Northern end of Riversdale Beach (north of the estuary)
- Southern Reserve at Riversdale Beach
- Far end of the reef at Castlepoint Beach, by the area known as ‘the gap’
- Signposted areas of Henley Lake between 1 August and 30 November
You can let your dogs run free in the following places, so long as they are under supervision and control.
|Henley Lake||All areas controlled by the Henley Lake Management Plan with the exception of leash restrictions imposed between 1 August and 30 November in signposted areas to protect breeding birds|
|Lansdowne Recreation Trail||Including Ngāti te Korou Reserve|
|Waipoua River||Banks up to and including top of the stop bank|
|Waingawa Northern River Bank and South Road||South from the intersection with Manaia Road South|
|Castlepoint Beach||Beach-front north of DOC reserve (also known as the Basin), excluding the far end of the reef where birds breed (by the area known as ‘the gap’) and the period between 20 December and 31 January*|
|Riversdale Beach||Beach‐front (excluding the northern end and Southern Reserve where birds breed) except between 20 December and 31 January*|
|Ruamāhunga River bank||Town side north of Te Ore Ore Road bridge, including Percy’s Reserve|
|Renall Street||Railway reserve|
* This period is excluded due to increased population over the holiday period.